1.27.2018

Recipe - Mexican Pie Casserole (Cheesy Goodness with Pics!)

I love cooking in the kitchen. Coming up with new recipes and serving them to my family, is a passion of mine. 

This Mexican Pie Casserole is delicious! It's really simple to make for the amount of ingredients that goes into it. I took a lot of pictures to show you step by step how I create this lasagna style casserole.





Ingredients:
2 lbs. ground beef
1 yellow onion, super fine dice
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 15 oz. cans of refried beans
1 15 oz. can of fire roasted tomatoes, blended in blender
1 4 oz. can of green chiles
3/4 cup of store bought salsa
3 Tbsp. of any store bought taco seasoning
4 - 5 cups of spanish rice (store bought mix)
1 lb. mild cheddar cheese, grated
6 to 8 flour tortillas

Optional Garnishes:

sour cream 
guacamole 
sliced olives 
salsa 
chopped jalapeno

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Make the spanish rice a head of time.


In a large frying pan, brown the ground beef and onion until no longer pink. Break up the ground beef as it cooks. Drain excess grease.

Add the garlic, fire roasted tomato, salsa, taco seasoning, and green chiles. Stir until well combined. Add 1/2 cup of water if the mixture seems dry and you need moisture to dissolve the taco seasoning.

Add the refried beans and stir until combined. Simmer for 20 minutes.

Use an oven proof 9 x 13 dish or larger.

Place a thin layer of bean/beef mixture to cover the bottom of dish.

Place a layer of flour tortillas on top of it. It's fine if they over lap a bit. Cut small pieces of tortilla to fill in any gaps.

Next place a thin layer of spanish rice over the tortillas, followed by another layer of the bean/beef mixture. 

Then add a layer of cheese on top of the bean/beef mixture.

Now repeat the layers until you fill the dish. 

Always end with the bean/beef layer topped with a final layer of cheese. Place a bit more cheese on the final layer so it's nice and cheesy.

Place in the oven at 350 degrees F., uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes or until everything is pipping hot and the cheese is melted and bubbly.

Serve with your favorite garnishes like sour cream and guacamole!


Yummy!

💋




14 comments:

  1. This looks really delicious. I will try it out! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like something my family would love! Im so excited to try it. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummm. This looks totally delish. I'll have to make it for my bestfriend

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at Cheesy! This is something my whole family will enjoy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Because the Mexican Pie Casserole looks as delicious as it does, I can't wait to try this special recipe out. I only hope I will be able do as good as you did in the heartwarming photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your spin on this .I make a sort of soft taco bake as well and very close to this though I have my own adaptation. Love how you have the products linked in your post as well.Thank you for sharing .Pretty sure this has to become dinner one night this weekend lol .

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks easy to make and like something everyone will eat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks really good! We need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love meals like this! It looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love fixing casseroles! This Mexican Pie sounds so good; thanks for sharing! I might try using corn tortillas instead of flour, hope it'll taste just as good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks incredible! What a great dish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. big fan of mexican food, i'd make two and finish them in one sitting

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so good. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete